Doctrix Birgit Kolboske
The proceedings of the GMPG program are published by Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht in the series Studies on the History of the Max Planck Society and as preprints on this website.
Founded in 1948, the Max Planck Society (MPG) dedicates more than 80 institutes to basic research in the natural sciences, but also in the social sciences and humanities. As an institution for non-university research and research funding, it enjoys worldwide recognition. How has it changed since its founding? How did its scientific programs and the topics of its institutes, its staff and its working conditions change? Who was in charge of it? This book series deals with the eventful history of the MPG in its interweaving with politics, economics and social developments. It brings together the history of science and general contemporary history in a way that sheds new light on the significance of science in the German social history of the 20th and early 21st centuries in its European and global contexts. What was and is special about the MPG, to what extent did it reflect the international development of science, to what extent did it shape it? This series is the work of several years of teamwork based on a comprehensive evaluation of historical documents, some of which have been made accessible here for the first time.
Since 2011 Birgit Kolboske has coordinated the programme and edition of the Research Programme on the History of the Max-Planck-Society. Together with Horst Kant and Jürgen Renn she co-authored an essay highlighting the crucial »Stations of the Kaiser Wilhelm/Max Planck Society«—and in doing so focused on some of the key strategies that to this day remain vital for the Max Planck Society, and on the formidable challenge of mastering epistemological processes within the framework of institutionalised research.